Dakota Greenhouse Installation
Download This as a PDF
!!!! CAUTION: Tubing ends may be sharp!!!
Read directions completely before beginning assembly. We recommend that you visit The Learning Center at www.growerslearning.com, click on How to Assemble under categories. In this section you will find video tutorials to assist you with the assembly of your new greenhouse. If you have ANY questions please give us a call at 866-928-3390.
Step 1 – Ground Stakes
- Square the corner stakes with each other. Take all measurements on the outer edge of pipe.
- Drive Corner stakes 18 inches in ground and then drive rest of stakes 4 ft. centers (Fig 1.1).
NOTE:Use a large bolt and washer, or 2 x 4 on top of stakes to drive
them into the ground.
Step 2 – Bow Assembly
- Place bow sections on flat ground.
- Slide sections together (Fig 2.1), and secure at joints with self-tapping screws that are provided (Fig 2.2).
- Measure up each end of bow 6 inches and make a reference mark. The mark is how far the bow slides into the ground stake. Each bow is 7 pieces total; 3 angular, 2 side wall uprights, and 2 gable pieces.
Step 3 – Bow Installation
- After bows have been assembled, raise upright and place ends in ground stakes (Fig 3.1) and attach with TEK screws.
Step 4 – Purlins
- The straight purlin pipe sections connect together with self-tapping TEK screw. The assembled purlin is attached to the first and last bow (Fig 4.1) using a 2-hole strap (Fig 4.3). The purlin clamps are used on the remaining bows (Fig 4.4). Trim extra pipe off. The Dakota House has 3 runs of purlin. One at the center of bow inside of the house (Fig 4.1), one on each sidewall at top of upright inside of the house (Fig 4.2). Make sure to view illustrations.
NOTE: The TEK screw is drilled through the 2-hole strap in Fig 4.3. This
secures the end of purlin to greenhouse.
Step 5 – Base Boards
- Attach base boards (2 x 6 pressure-treated recommended) on the bottom of the sidewall outside of house with supplied 2-hole pipe straps.
- IF you have roll-up sides you will need to install a head board also. This is installed anywhere from 3 feet all the way up to the bend at about 6 feet on each side. Install this with the supplied 2-hole straps.
NOTE:You must attach 2 hole strap to ground stake using self-tapping
screws also use wood screws (not included) to attach to your
Step 6 – End Walls
NOTE: End walls are set up for a 36 inch storm door (not provided).
The rough in for a 36 inch storm door is normally 36 ½ inches.
- On front end-wall, measure to find the center of the house.
- From the center, mark 18 inches to the left and right of that point. This gives you the door frame size.
- Drive the 1 inch ground stake in at each of these two points (will be approximately 36 inches apart). This is where your storm door will be. Rough in for a 36 inch storm door is normally 36 ½ inches.
- Measure the distance between the base of these ground stakes and peak of the bow where they will be connecting.
- Cut your square uprights (if needed) to meet these measurements, slide square uprights over the ground stakes with pre-drilled side at the top.
- Attach brace bands over the bow and into the square uprights (see Fig. 6.1).
- Insert bolts through brace bands and square upright (Tighten completely after door is installed).
- Place one self-tapping TEK screw through the brace band securing it to the inside of the bow.
- Using TEK screws, install header with corner braces and header tie.
- The installation of the rear end-wall is the same. However, header & upright spacing can be adjusted to accommodate a fan or vent if you choose to install one.
Step 7 – Wire Lock
NOTE:Not all houses use wire lock. Some use batten tape and staples.
- Attach the Wire Lock Channel on the top of first bow and last bow using TEK screws (included) every 18 inches.
- Attach the Wire Lock Channel on base boards all the way around the base of the greenhouse in the same manner using 1 ½ inches wood screws (not provided). TEK SCREWS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THIS.
NOTE: If you have Roll-Up sides you will attach wire-lock on sides to the
head board not base board.
- If you do not have Roll-Up Sides, start at the base board on one side. Attach Wire base on face of board (Fig 7.1) and install on bow running all the way over bow to other base board. Screw every 18 inches with self-tapping screws. If you have Roll-Up Sides cut and fit a piece of wire base in between head board and base board. Then attach wire base to face of head board and install over bow to other hip board.
- Once you have the wire base installed on first and last bows it is time to install it on the base board or hip board. If you do not have Roll-Up Sides install wire base on the base board the length of your house. If you have Roll-Up Sides run the wire base on your hip board the length of the house. Now it is time to install the wire base on the ends of your house. Wire base is only used on the base board you must cut to fit. If you need assistance call tech support, 866-928-3390.
NOTE: See the slideshow online for more information.
Step 8 – Film Installation
- When preparing to install film on your greenhouse be aware of the wind. Try to pick a calm day. Start by locating the film for the ends of the greenhouse. Next gather 3 short pieces of wiggle wire you will use this to hold film in place. Stretch the film over the bow and attach the film with the wire. You can adjust film by removing wiggle wire and reinstalling. Once end film is in place it is time for the main film. Roll main film out along side of the green house. Lay wiggle wire out around the house. Pull film across house and attach on one end. Go to the other end and pull tight. You may need to go back and adjust again. Once in place wire lock completely.
- Pull Film over the greenhouse (on a non-windy day!)
NOTE: Plastic normally has 12 inches or larger overhang on all sides.
NOTE: Please make sure that you are careful when pulling film. Make
sure film does not get snagged on metal.
- Lay film over the Wire Lock Channel, and fasten the plastic into the channel by placing the wiggle wire into the channel on top of the plastic (Fig 8.1).
NOTE:Please watch the video online for more information.
Additional Information Concerning Weather
During windy / stormy / winter conditions it is mandatory to roll sides down and wire lock ends. Lack of doing this may result in greenhouse damage due to wind uplift. If you are expecting sever snow, 6 inches plus you should broom snow off of the greenhouse. Feel free to call for more explanation, 931-528-3390.
Please feel free to call us if you have any questions.
LIMITATION OF WARRANTY: Grower’s Solution, LLC makes no warranty either expressed or implied, as to any matter in connection with the sale or use of goods or services offered nor does the company make any warranty of merchantability of fitness for any purpose. Grower’s Solution, LLC Is not responsible for improper assembly or improper installation of any products. If any item is warranted by the manufacturer, the buyer shall look solely to the manufacturer for redress of the manufacturer’s warranty.
RECOMMENDATIONS: All recommendations by us are compiled for recognized horticultural sources. Because conditions of use which are of critical importance are beyond our control, we make no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, except that all products conform to the description of the label. We are not responsible for damage or failure because of any recommendations given by us or our personnel. Our liability as the seller shall be limited to the stated selling price of any defective goods, which in no event shall include buyers cost, lost profits or good will, or any other special consequential damages.